Monday, April 2, 2007

First Impression of Linz: Coffee, Bread, and Water


When we are in Linz, we stay in the Summerhaus of Johannes Kepler University Linz. It feels like a place for short-term exchanged international students. The room is simple but comfy. Our window view is pretty. On the right is a hill with houses scattering over the mountainside; on the left is the city view.

Europeans put a lot effort in protecting the planet and saving energy. Toilet paper and handwipes are made with recycle paper. Hallway light turns off automatically in minutes. I do not see any plastic, disposable tableware during the whole trip.

Tap water is drinkable in Austria, and it tastes really good. It is funny that bottle water costs more than wine and beer. So it is a good thing that I bring my water bottle with me. That saves me a lot of money.

Summerhaus provides simple breakfast in serve-yourself style. The menu is the same everyday: three kinds of cereal, two bowls of yoghurt, three kinds of juice, bread, fruit and coffee. It is very simple, but we really enjoy it, because

THE COFFEE AND THE BREAD ARE AWESOME!!!

Also, there are samll, stainless steel pitchers near the coffee machine. We are supposed to fill the pitcher with coffee, take the pitcher to the table, and pour coffee into the mug. And therefore, it is really easy to drink to much coffee in the morning, not only because it is sooooo good, but also because that I feel bad not to empty my pitcher.

So, if you ask me what I miss most, my answer is: coffee, bread, and water!

No comments: